Recently our family celebrated our cat’s, Miss Kitty, 13th birthday. This may sound like I have a teenager in the house, but in all actuality-she has moved on toward retirement. Thirteen equates to 68ish years in human years. Geez-no wonder cats need nine lives. In our eyes, she is the purrrrfect cat. As my toddler says “we wuv our cat much”. In 13 short years, she has survived 5 moves, endured a house remodel, sit by our laptops as we have worked to earn a combined 5 college degrees (she’s a smart cat), made peace with not being the only-child when our son made his debut, and went missing in action a time or two. Miss Kitty isn’t a lap cat, but you can always depend on her being somewhere near keeping an eye on life. Even though she isn’t as bright-eyed and bushy-tailed as she once was, her belly sags, and she moves a little slower- she still has a little spunk left in her. In the past thirteen years, she has taught me a thing or two about life. If you love dogs, don’t be a sour puss, you might learn a thing or two from our cat.
- When life is crap, kick some litter over it, and move on. And…if you’re lucky, somebody might clean it up for you.
- Don’t wait for the sun to find you…find the sunny spots and move as they shift.
- Being man’s best friend is over rated. It is a dog-eat-dog world and it’s a catastrophe waiting to happen if you compare yourself to a dog. Make your own world, even if you don’t have nine lives.
- Be independent. Enjoy the company of others, but be able to stand on your on 2 feet (or paws).
- Look at things from different perspectives. Sitting on top of an armoire provides a different view than from under the bed-always take in different perspectives. Know when to stand out and know when to blend in.
- Spat, forgive, and forget. Life is too short to hold grudges.
- Use your claws wisely, bite seldom, and hiss sparingly. Scratches and bite marks may heal, but emotional wounds can remain forever.
- Be near the ones you love. Even if you aren’t a lap cat, enjoy the company you keep.
- Speak up when you want something. If someone doesn’t listen….speak again. MEOW!
- There is peace in solitude and silence. Sometimes retreating away to a hiding place is good for the soul.
- Take a cat nap: never underestimate the power of a good nap
- Pounce on every opportunity the world has to offer!
- When you are feeling spunky-play. Even if it’s a 2 AM and everyone else wants to sleep.
Today my spoon is full of great lessons from my cat. In my eyes, she is the Cat’s Meow!